I’ve used the Montane Featherlite Down Jacket Mens for two years as of writing this review, and it’s my favourite down jacket out of many that I have had.
It’s been taken high up into the Pamir Mountains of Tajikistan and Afghanistan hiking in freezing temperatures, as well as casual travel in Europe in winter, as well as many other places. It does both jobs perfectly.
Montane for those who don’t know is an excellent outdoor gear brand from the UK. I have used many of their products for years, and can easily say it’s some of the most used hiking clothing I have.
A Montane down jacket is one of the best you can get, and at a reasonable enough price as well.
Montane Featherlite Down Jacket
Now naturally I have only personally tested the mans version (being a man and all), but I have a female friend who also uses it, and she agrees with me about my opinion on the featherlite down jacket.
Of course the main purpose for having this jacket is for hiking in cool conditions and it excels at this. In very cold conditions around freezing point I used it wearing while hiking and had no problems with sweat. In similar freezing conditions hanging around camp it kept me warm with a light fleece layer underneath.
One of the great things is that it’s reasonably lightweight and packs down small so takes up minimal space (the size of a large orange according to Montane and I concur).
The down is also water resistant so you can worry a bit less about getting it a little damp. However this is not a full on replacement for synthetic insulation, which is easier to deal with damp conditions (from my experience).
Here are some quick stats from Montane to give you the technical rundown –
- 100% Pertex Quantum rip stop outer.
- 140g of high quality Feather & Down Titanium water resistant ECO down at 750+ fill power.
- Articulated arms for reach high movement.
- Responsibly resourced down.
- Adjustable down filled technical hood and easy to fit over a climbing helmet.
- Two hand-warmer pockets with zips.
- Chest pocket for handy items in the mountains.
- Full length YKK front zip.
- Internal storm flap behind centre front zip for more weather protection.
- Chinguard with brushed microfleece for comfort next to the mouth and chin.
- Adjustable hem with drawcord to prevent spindrift entry and heat loss.
- Comes with a stuff sac for easy carrying and storage.
This Montane Down Jacket is Highly Recommended
Using the jacket while hiking in light snowdrift it kept dry thanks to the good DWR treatment on the outside of the fabric. The down stays in place fine, giving equal warmth all around.
As you can see I highly recommend getting the Montane Featherlite down jacket if you’re looking for a new jacket that will take minimal space, whether for hiking or travelling.
It will keep you toasty warm around freezing point with a light fleece layer underneath.
You can purchase the mens version at Amazon here: Montane Featherlite Down Jacket Mens
and the women’s version here: Montane Featherlite Down Jacket Women’s
If you want to know what I recommend to pack for travelling anywhere in the world, you can find my packing gear list here.
Share it –